Shipping / Maritime and Logistics Industry Overview
KLST is proud to have worked with many Shipping companies across the world to build cutting edge technology solutions that meet key business needs and compliance requirements. We provide some of the largest Global Shipping Companies with game changing technology strategy, robust solutions especially built on Microsoft SharePoint, and operations support that helps them unlock their value levers and stay ahead in the face of unprecedented regulation, competition, and change in end-client profiles.
The Shipping industry is experiencing unprecedented changes, with some even questioning whether it is possible for organizations to effectively serve customers, meet new ways of interacting with clients both offshore aboard the ships and onshore, and create innovative new business models and solutions while sustaining profitability. At the same time, technology developments, like the cloud, Internet access on Ships and very low latency hardware, are contributing to the dynamism of markets. KLST has built SharePoint portals for Global Shipping companies, which acts as the central repository for Documents, Records, Web pages, Calendars, E-mail, WIKIS, News, Employee biographies, Research sources etc - any sort of content used by the organization under a single user interface. This means that employees onshore or offshore on-board the ships no longer have to go to different platforms such as Document Management System, Research Portal, E-mail system, and so on—to get, use, and share different pieces of information. Some of key benefits of using KLST Consulting Services and Product offerings specifically designed for Shipping / Maritime companies are:
- Cost Reduction - Using familiar Microsoft Technologies (such as SharePoint, .NET and ERP solutions from Veson) reduces integration time to market and therefore the cost of the project. Furthermore, some cloud based modules allow Shipping Companies to pay for the resources used as well as reliable and scalable solutions
- Improved Collaboration - Using Integrated solutions built on Microsoft SharePoint and Veson ERP helps increase employee efficiency and promotes collaboration with intuitive tools and features that give users more time to focus on their core competency. It helps reduce the cost of sales by streamlining and automating key tasks such as approvals and escalations to deliver superior services that improve customer satisfaction and retention.
- Social Firm Directory - In many firms, SharePoint sites are becoming a gathering place where people create, share, and interact with information. SharePoint 2013 improves relevance based on social behaviors in several ways:
- Social distance - A direct colleague will appear in a search before someone removed by three degrees.
- Click-Through - By identifying that the employee clicked a link in the last similar search, that link is more likely to be the best one this time.
- Social distance - Shipping companies can allow employees to tag documents in a free-form manner by using enterprise keywords (discussed later). As a type of metadata, enterprise keywords are used by SharePoint 2013 to affect search relevance.
- Query Suggestions - SharePoint 2013 provides search suggestions based on employees’ queries that have returned similar results.
- SharePoint Office Integration / Automation - Microsoft Office InfoPath enables assembling rapid creation of electronic business forms for collecting vessel information and feeding details to a different line of business systems (like Veson ERP).